Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said today she supports the controversial employee verification program called E-Verify and wants to see it extended beyond the Sept. 30 expiration date.
In an interview today with Gannett Washington Bureau, Napolitano said the Obama administration hasn’t taken a position on whether or not to make E-Verify mandatory for all U.S. employers.
“It’s all about who gets to work and making sure they’re legally present in our country. And to do that nationally E-verify becomes a key component,’’ she said. “It certainly needs to available, effective and as inexpensive as possible and that employer needs to use it as a tool.
Read the story here.
– Use of E-Verify is mandatory in 12 states
– 6.6 Million E-Verify queries were run in 2008*
– Over 1000 companies sign up each week*
– More than 100,000 employers use E-Verify today*
– 96% of workers immediately are authorized to work through E-Verify*
– Employees have the right to contest results
– 13% of all new hires were E-Verified in 2008
*Reported by Department of Homeland Security
Advantages of using FYI Screening for E-Verify:
- As a designated E-Verify service provider, FYI Screening can help you join the growing ranks of those employers who use the E-Verify system to confirm the legal status of workers in the United States.
- Seamless integration into our online background screening system. When you order a background check on an applicant you can easily order an E-Verify check.
- Quick, accurate results
- Confirmation number provides streamlined record-keeping in one convenient online location. This is great for companies with multiple locations.
- Reduces liability by providing an electronic trail for auditing.
For more information about E-Verify, please contact us at 1-800-809-2419 or click here.